Two homes in one.LocationBarnard Gate lies just off the A40, to the east of Witney. Well situated for Oxford, Abingdon, Witney and Woodstock, and very accessible for London and Oxford via the A40 to the M40/M4.For everyday day shopping and other facilities, there are the thriving market towns of Witney and Woodstock, whilst Oxford is within an 8 mile radius.Mainline railway stations at Oxford Parkway, Charlbury and Long Hanborough, and well positioned for access schools in Oxford, Witney and Abingdon.DescriptionA fascinating opportunity, since it comprises two individual properties of distinctive character set in over six acres. The main house, originally two attached properties, is arranged over three floors with a practical layout to provide space for families of all sizes.The centrepiece is the welcoming kitchen/breakfast room, which is ideal for entertaining and family gatherings, and there are three separate reception rooms for those wanting some relative peace and quiet.The detached stone barn has been imaginatively converted to provide flexible and stylishly presented accommodation arranged over two floors. It includes a living room with full length windows, a bedroom and bathroom, a mezzanine study area and an attached office, currently a store room.A driveway leads from the road to the property towards a gravelled parking area. There are formal gardens to the front which are laid to lawn and interspersed with trees and shrubs, leading to an area of orchard to the side of the property. To the rear of the property there is a further area of garden which looks out over paddock land, with the plot approaching just over 6 acres in total.Services: Mains water and electricity, propane gas, private drainageSquare Footage: 2947 sq ftAcreage: 6 AcresDirectionsFrom Oxford proceed west on the A40. After approximately 5.5 miles, turn right, signposted Barnard Gate. The entrance and driveway to Barnard Gate Farm will be found after approximately 100 yards on the right.
Historic family home and four bedroom cottage, set in the centre of a sought after village.LocationEynsham is an historic village lying seven miles west of Oxford. In the middle ages there was a substantial abbey which was built around 1005 and became famous in the region. In 1538 the abbey was dissolved by Henry VIII and the remains stood for a century or so before eventually the stones from the abbey were used to build various houses in the village. The front door of The Gables comes from the abbey.At the start of the 19th century the Gables was owned by James Swann. He also owned the paper mills at Eynsham and Wolvercote which supplied paper to the University of Oxford. Swann was a great friend of William Cobbett, who brought the first Acacia seed to England from America. One of the original four seeds is the massive tree in the Gables garden planted in 1805.The Gables and Stables Cottage lie in the heart of this popular and thriving village which boasts good local amenities including primary and secondary schools, butcher, hardware store, small supermarket, public houses with restaurants and a weekly country market in the square.Further shopping, cultural and leisure facilities can be found in Oxford and Witney, six miles to the west. Regular bus services operate to both Oxford and Witney.Eynsham is ideally situated for anyone wanting to run a business from home. The village is on the A40 going west, and has easy access to the A34 going north and south, and to the M40 from London to Birmingham. There is a frequent bus service (the S1) from Eynsham into Oxford (passing the rail station) and out to Witney.DescriptionThe Gables is a Grade II Listed building, and has a Stonesfield Slate roof. The south end of The Gables is an oak timber a-frame building dating from about 1570. The rest of The Gables was built around 1650 and built of stone walls to the ground floor and an oak timber frame for the two floors above.About 200 years ago the Swann family altered the Gables by changing the original casement windows into sash windows which were fashionable at the time, but which now make the house look Georgian; it is in fact considerably older.Although situated in the centre of the old part of this thriving village, the Gables remains very secluded because the entry is through the archway and its garden has high walls.Inside, both The Gables and tables Cottage, show their origins with many old oak beams which form the main roof structures of each house. Both properties have been well maintained and modernised by the current owners and provide comfortable accommodation throughout.The Gables is entered via a small porch which opens up to an entrance hall and dining room. This leads to a spacious kitchen/breakfast room with utility and pantry. To the left of the entrance is a generous sitting room. Past the impressive original staircase, is a second sitting room. Upstairs, there are 7 bedrooms and 5 bathrooms arranged over the first and second floors.There are 2 staircases in the house and this allows the second sitting room, and the bedrooms above, to be used as self-contained accommodation if required. On the ground floor of The Gables is a large room named The Music Room, which opens directly onto the courtyard. This room offers excellent flexibility and can be used as part of the main house or could be completely self-contained and has its own washroom and toilet. It has been used by a number of local organisations as well as being available for hire.Stables Cottage is a generously sized home in its own right. The cottage has a spacious entrance hall which leads to a kitchen, reception room and dining room. There is a shower room off the dining room allowing it to easily be used as a downstairs bedroom if required. Upstairs there are 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. Stables Cottage was converted into a house in 1976 from the old Stables buildings. Further changes were made in 2008 with the formation of a third bedroom, a bathroom and a study/ bedroom over the garage.OutsideBoth properties are approached via a private archway leading to an enclosed courtyard and parking area. There are various outbuildings, garden stores and garages which are also accessed via the courtyard. The properties sit in generous grounds of about 2 acres. The Gables looks over a formal lawn with mature trees and herbaceous borders. There is a wall to one side with a pathway leading to a thatched summerhouse. There is also an orchard with an extensive array of mature fruit trees. At the end of the orchard is a former tennis court which currently houses the solar panels for both the houses. This could be restored to use as tennis court if required. The Stables enjoys its own private garden with mature planting and hedgerows which create an attractive and private setting.TenureFreehold with vacant possession on completion.ServicesMains services connected.Local AuthorityWest Oxfordshire District CouncilDate CodeBrochure prepared November 2021ViewingStrictly by appointment with Savills Summertown office Fixtures and fittingsThose items mentioned in these sale particulars are included in the freehold sale. All other fixtures, fittings, garden ornaments and furnishings are expressly excluded. Certain such items may be available by separate negotiation. Further information should be obtained from Savills.DirectionsFrom Oxford take the A40 towards Cheltenham. At the first roundabout turn left onto the B4449, proceed to the next roundabout and then turn right into Cassington Road. Proceed into Newland Street and turn left into Queen Street. Take the first drive on the left and continue through the archway into the parking area for The Gables and Stables Cottage.